This is a repost of one of my first blogs but within the last month I have seen an increase in out of state buyers moving to our wonderful city. So I thought I would republish some of the reasons that I think Oklahoma City is such a great place to live.
Being a military family we were excited when we found out that we were moving to Oklahoma City. We had heard so many positive things about the community and the quality of life in OKC. But most of all we thought it would be a great a place to raise a family. Boy, were we right. Thirteen years later we are still here and have no intentions of leaving. Here are MY top ten reasons why I think Oklahoma City is so great!
10. Parks and the River: There are so many wonderful community parks to enjoy. And ten years ago who knew our Oklahoma River would become a draw for river cruises and speed boat racing. And let’s not forget about our rowing championships. With so many activities happening at the river it has become an attraction of its own.
9. Traffic: All it takes is a trip to Dallas to appreciate our traffic flow. Sure, we have a rush hour but for the most part our traffic moves well. It is wonderful living in a big city without big city traffic issues.
8. Community Events: There is always something to and somewhere to go in our community. We have the State Fair, Arts Festival, Red Earth Festival, Paseo Festival, and Horse Events, which include racing, championship shows and rodeos. Just to name a few.
7. Sports: We cannot mention OKC without bringing up our love of sports. All sports. We have a team for every season. Our Thunder has become a phenomenon itself. How exciting it has been to see the city rally behind them. And what a great time it is to spend a summer evening cheering on the Redhawks. And we cannot forget about our football…both the high school and college level.
6. Cultural Events and Museums: We love our small town feel but also love our big town culture that is available. So many wonderful museums to choose from, science, art, history, and The National Cowboy & Western Museum. We also have a wonderful zoo. Going to see one of the many Broadway shows that come here and the OKC Ballet Company performances is always such a treat.
5. Bricktown: From run down, empty warehouses to a great entertainment center. It has plenty of restaurants, shopping, nightclubs, movies, river cruises. My out of town guests fall in love with its charm.
4. Schools and Colleges: Local city government has taken great strides in improving our children’s education. Dropout rates have decreased and test scores are improving. Our surrounding colleges offer the opportunity to obtain a first class college education at some of the most affordable costs in the nation.
3. Oklahoma City Memorial and Marathon: The OKC Memorial is a poignant reminder of the victims of the OKC bombing tragedy. The Survivor Tree is a symbol of strength and hope. Perfect symbolism for the character of the people of our city. And now we have the annual marathon to honor and celebrate life.
2. Cost of Living: Low cost of living in OKC has enabled our quality of life. Below average unemployment, affordable housing and average personal income rising has helped us to enjoy our quality of life.
AND MY NUMBER ONE REASON I LOVE OKLAHOMA CITY:
THE PEOPLE: The people here are the best asset this city has. Having lived all over the country I have never seen a community that has such a warm, friendly spirit like Oklahoma City. I love that everyone says hello to each other. Live in a big city for awhile and you will see that is not always the case. I am so grateful to be a part of a community that embraces each other and gives strength to each other. I am very proud to call Oklahoma City home.